Living in Surveillance Societies (LiSS) Conference 3
Universitat Oberta de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain, 29-31 May 2012
Call for Papers
Call for Doctoral School Participants
Deadline for abstracts: Monday 13th February 2012
LiSS Conference 3 will take place at the Universitat Oberta de Catalunya in Barcelona between 29th and 31st May 2012. The conference theme for the 2012 event will be ‘the state of surveillance’. Here the intention is to explore two aspects of living in surveillance societies. First, to examine the roles played by the state in facilitating and maintaining everyday technologically mediated surveillance. This would include the provision of surveillance systems, normalisation processes and the regulation and governance of surveillance. Second, the intention is to assess the state-of-the-art, both in terms of theoretical and empirical developments in surveillance studies and of state-of-the-art surveillance systems and practices.
Papers are invited on, but are no restricted to, the following topics:
- The governance and regulation of surveillance and privacy
- The development of surveillance related public policy at national and supra-national levels
- The organisation and management of surveillance technologies and systems
- Policy processes in surveillance societies
- Evolving institutions in surveillance societies
- Surveillance relations between citizen and the state
- Relations between the state and the commercial and voluntary sectors
- Surveillance industries
- Political economies of surveillance
- Media representations of surveillance
- Emerging surveillance technologies and practices
- Surveillance in everyday life
- Post-authoritarian states and surveillance
- National cultures and surveillance
- Challenges and resistance to surveillance
- Surveillance and mega events
- Art and surveillance
- Perceptions of and experiences of surveillance
- Local, national and international comparisons
- Geographies of surveillance
- Convergence of surveillances technologies, policies and practices
- Development of surveillance theory
- Findings from new empirical studies.
Papers which explore new theoretical developments or which present new empirical findings are very welcome.
The conference will include a range of activities, including conference paper sessions, keynote presentations, themed workshops, a doctoral school, a round table debate and a conference dinner. The full conference programme will be issued in April 2012. LiSS Doctoral School During LiSS Conference 3 a Doctoral School will take place. If you would like to participate in the doctoral school then could you send an abstract outlining your doctoral research using the ‘submission of abstracts’ procedure outlined below.
Submission of Abstracts
If you would like to present a paper or attend the doctoral school, please submit a 350 word abstract by Monday 13th February 2012. Abstracts should be submitted to the Chair of the Action,
William Webster (email@example.com), and the Conference Organiser, Gemma Galdon (firstname.lastname@example.org). Can you ensure that you include the following information with your abstract:
- Institutional affiliation
- Institutional address
- Telephone number
- Email addres
The LiSS research programme is expecting to make a financial contribution to the conference costs of all conference participants. Further details to follow. There will not be a conference fee.
Conference papers will be published in the proceedings of the conference. This does not preclude publication in other academic outlets.
Practical information about accommodation, directions to the conference venue and accommodation will be circulated in March 2012.
- Deadline for abstracts: Monday 13th February 2012
- Notification of Acceptance: Monday 5th March 2012
- eCOST invitations will be issued in March 2012
- Deadline for papers: Monday 7th May 2012
LiSS Website: http://www.liss-cost.eu/
COST LiSS Website: http://w3.cost.eu/index.php?id=233&action_number=IS0807
Universitat Oberta de Catalunya Website: http://www.uoc.edu/portal/english/
We look forward to hearing from you.
William Webster, Chair, LiSS COST Action IS0807 (email@example.com)
Gemma Galdon, LiSS Conference 3 Organiser (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Cristina Fernandez Bessa, LiSS Conference 3 Administrator (email@example.com)