If you are a member or want to join SSN please go to the registration page, where you can log on or register for a SSN membership.
Benefits of Membership
Surveillance Studies Network is a registered charitable company. Our main objective is to advance the public understanding of surveillance through the free exchange of academic information across academic cultures and disciplines. Our journal, Surveillance and Society is the main way we achieve this.
At the moment, Surveillance and Society is free to all, and is not attached to any publishing house or other large scale business enterprise. In order for it to remain so, we have formed Surveillance Studies Network, a membership charity, as a permanent and independent legal home for the journal and its contents. However to continue the publication, we need to raise a nominal sum of money to pay for web hosting, software and editorial assistance.
Joining Surveillance Studies Network entitles you to membership of the organization, which is renewable every two years from the initial date you joined. Your membership fees go towards the publication of the journal to ensure that it remains free to access and benefits the wider activist, journalist and scholarly communities who read it, as well as the general public.
In return, we will offer you:
1. The opportunity to offer yourself for election to the board of Surveillance Studies Network and Surveillance and Society
2. Discounts on all SSN-sponsored conferences and events
3. Approval and sponsorship of your research bids and events about surveillance
In the future we have plans to offer our members:
1. Small amounts of pump priming funds for research proposals
2. Conference travel grants for junior scholars and scholars from the developing world
3. An online encyclopaedia of surveillance and resource base
4. A list of media experts
5. Special offers for members, such as discounts with selected publishers